Support for Local Engagement
ABAG staff is working on supporting materials, research-based messaging guidance and best practices in engagement to assist with Housing Element public engagement and to address HCD comments made on jurisdiction housing outreach activities. More information on translation and interpretation assistance can be found on this webpage.
Resources for Communications and Public Engagement
- How to Engage Farmworkers in the Housing Element Process: this guide is intended to provide practical advice to cities, towns and counties for conducting outreach and engagement — even if there are not farms or farmworkers living within your community. The accompanying templates can be downloaded and edited to fit your jurisdiction's needs.
- The RHTA Photo Catalog provides photos illustrating neighborhoods with varied types of housing. All photos are available for use by Bay Area jurisdictions working on their Housing Element.
- "Let's Talk About Housing:" Communications Guide For Local Government: this document is a data-driven communications guide for use by local government staff and elected officials to foster productive conversations with residents about housing. The guide is based on existing and new research and includes consistent, clear language for discussions about affirmatively furthering fair housing (AFFH) legislation. View the Guide and download the video overview.
- Best Practices for Equitable Engagement Primer: this primer provides effective ways to engage communities and stakeholder organizations that traditionally are underrepresented in local government participation. It is designed to provide local jurisdictions with a range of tools, strategies and best practices for engaging all community members. View the Primer and download the video overview.
- Section 508 document and website accessibility resources.
Social Media Toolkit
A social media toolkit (in English, Spanish and simplified Chinese) to help jurisdictions communicate with their residents online about Housing Element updates.
- Housing Element Timeline Template
- What is a Housing Element? Briefer Template
- Housing Element FAQs Template
- Housing Element Webinar: How to Talk About Housing – Data-Driven Lessons on Housing Communications that Work and Those that Backfire (4/27/2021)
- Housing Element Webinar: Engage How To! Introduction to Remote Meeting Tools (5/25/2021)
For more information about civic engagement contact:
Leah Zippert, Public Information Officer
Phone: (415) 820-7995