Notice of Public Hearings: Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) Cycle 6 Process – Proposed Methodology and Subregional Shares
Bay Area local governments and residents are invited by the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) to comment on the Proposed Methodology and Subregional Share of 6th Cycle of the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) process. Under this process, the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) identifies the total number of homes for which each region in California must plan in order to meet the housing needs of people at all income levels over an eight-year period. ABAG is responsible for developing a methodology to allocate a portion of this housing need to every local government in the Bay Area. In turn, each local government must update its Housing Element to demonstrate the sites, policies, and strategies necessary to meet the community’s housing needs.
More information about the RHNA process and RHNA subregions can be found on the RHNA website.
ABAG is soliciting comments on the following two components of the 6th Cycle RHNA process:
- Proposed RHNA Methodology (Report page 9): The RHNA methodology is a formula that calculates the number of housing units assigned to each city and county, and the formula also distributes each jurisdiction’s housing unit allocation among four affordability levels. The RHNA allocation must meet the statutory objectives of RHNA and be consistent with the forecasted development pattern from Plan Bay Area 2050.
- Draft Subregional Shares of Regional Housing Need (Report page 58): As part of the RHNA process, local jurisdictions have the opportunity to form a subregion to conduct an allocation process that parallels, but is separate from, the regional process. ABAG is responsible for determining each subregion's share of housing need, and each subregion is then required to complete all of the statutory steps in the RHNA process to develop an allocation of housing units that meets the same statutory requirements as the regional allocation process, including consistency with Plan Bay Area 2050. Subregions have formed in Napa County (includes City of American Canyon, City of Napa, Town of Yountville, and the County of Napa) and in Solano County (includes all jurisdictions).
A public hearing for each component to receive public testimony will be held during the ABAG Regional Planning Committee on:
Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. (Remotely)
Bay Area Metro Center
Board Room, 1st Floor
375 Beale Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
Attendee link: https://bayareametro.zoom.us/j/89719021818
Or iPhone one-tap : US: +14086380968,,89719021818# or +16699006833,,89719021818#
Or Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 408 638 0968 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 876 9923 or 877 853 5247 (Toll Free) or 888 788 0099 (Toll Free)
Webinar ID: 897 1902 1818
The proposed RHNA Methodology and Subregional Shares will be open for public comment beginning October 25, 2020. Written comments will be accepted until the extended date of 12:00 noon, Friday, November 27th, 2020 and may be submitted to the Association of Bay Area Governments and Metropolitan Transportation Commission’s (ABAG-MTC) Public Information Office via e-mail to RHNA@bayareametro.gov or via USPS at 375 Beale St, Suite 800, San Francisco, CA 94105. Please include “Proposed RHNA Methodology and Subregional Shares” in the subject line.
After receipt and review of public comments, the ABAG Executive Board is slated to take action on the proposed items at the January 21, 2020 meeting.
- RHNA Notice of Public Hearing
- RHNA Aviso de Audiencia Pública
- ¿Necesita un intérprete u otra asistencia para participar? Por favor llame al 415-778-6757.