Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
ABAG adopted an Equity Platform to guide its work, which includes technical assistance to local governments to meet state and federal requirements to affirmatively further fair housing (AFFH). These requirements stem from the federal Fair Housing Act of 1968, as well as from federal regulations updated in July 2021. California Legislation enacted in 2018 (AB 686, Santiago, Chapter 958) likewise requires all public agencies in the state to affirmatively further fair housing and avoid any actions that are inconsistent with this obligation.
RHTA funds are supporting pioneering research between ABAG and The University of California, Merced to study segregation patterns and current land use policies that correlate with patterns of racial segregation. ABAG also aims to leverage Opportunity Maps created by the State Tax Credit Allocation Committee to assess a community’s fair housing issues.
- Video introducing ABAG research in partnership with UC Merced on segregation and land use policies.
- HCD’s AFFH Webinar on Implementing AB 686: Guidance for Housing Elements.
- HCD Guidance on Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing.
- HCD Summary of Requirements AB 686 added to Housing Element Law.
- AFFH Template Staff Report.
- AFFH Template Staff Slide Deck.
- Draft AFFH Data Guidance Checklist
For more information about Housing Equity/AFFH contact:
Christy Leffall, Associate Planner
Phone: (415) 820-7940