ABAG POWER conducts pooled purchasing of natural gas on behalf of local governments and special districts in the Bay Area who voluntarily join our program.
Natural gas is commonly used for water and space heating, cooking, electricity generation or as vehicle fuel.
We are currently in our 22nd year of operation and serve nearly forty member-agencies throughout PG&E's service territory. This includes zoos, community centers, cost-sensitive hospitals and police and fire stations.
Get a list of the POWER Executive Committee and also the POWER Board of Directors.
The goals of ABAG POWER are:
- Price stability: Our strategy allows for a consistent budget allocation for future energy needs. Knowing the price of energy for a full year, for any agency, is a huge advantage.
- Cost savings: We strive to provide gas procurement services for less than the equivalent services provided by the default provider (e.g. PG&E).
- Member benefits: Gas pool members benefit from ABAG’s experience in monitoring regulatory and legislative proceedings.
- Member ownership: Members own and operate the pool and have input into purchasing decisions, administrative costs and billing procedures.
- Create alternatives: Bay Area agencies and ABAG POWER members develop innovative programs on energy with high degrees of visibility and impact to our communities.
We encourage active participation from member agencies. We invite you to send us an email to learn more about the program or opportunities to join the ABAG POWER Executive Committee.
ABAG POWER Innovations
We bring agencies and ABAG members together to create new ideas for additional programs. ABAG strongly promoted “Community Choice Aggregation” which allows residents to join their city’s or county’s energy pool for more choice over local energy development savings.
The ABAG POWER Executive Committee meets every other month and the ABAG POWER Board of Directors meets annually.