Bay Area Planning Directors Association (BAPDA)
The Bay Area Planning Directors Association (BAPDA) is a non-profit professional network of planning directors and community development directors throughout the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area. Serving the region’s planners since 1977, BAPDA offers professional education, advice and leadership on planning policy and practice at the regional and local levels to provide support for planners and to explore the issues that impact our area.
BAPDA promotes communication and collaboration among planning professionals throughout the Bay Area, fostering long-term, cross-jurisdictional connections for the exchange of ideas, information and best practices. Our bi-annual General Assembly meetings bring together planning and community development directors and their staff members from jurisdictions, agencies, special districts and private firms within all nine counties, catalyzing ongoing, organic networks among local and regional planners. BAPDA also provides mentorship opportunities for young planners who want to become leaders in the field.
Committed to leadership, knowledge and strategic thinking, BAPDA champions best practices and education on leading-edge issues in our profession. With expert-led panels on the most cutting-edge topics in the field, our bi-annual General Assembly meetings invite planning and community development directors to explore the issues that affect our region, looking at solutions other communities have implemented, to support effective planning, policy and programs throughout the Bay Area.
- Al Savay, AICP, City of San Carlos, BAPDA Chair
- Paul Jensen, AICP, City of San Rafael, BAPDA Vice Chair
- Brent Cooper, City of American Canyon
- Hillary Gitelman, ESA
- Diane Henderson, AICP, DMH Land Use Planning
- Rosalynn Hughey, City of San Jose
- Matt Maloney, Director, Regional Planning Program, ABAG/MTC
- Casey McCann, City of Brentwood
- Andrea Ouse, AICP, City of Concord
- Guido Persicone, AICP, City of East Palo Alto
- Christina Ratcliffe, AICP, City of Martinez
- Paul Spence, City of Livermore
- Janet Spilman, Sonoma County Transportation Authority
- Dina Tasini, City of Dixon
- Hing Wong, AICP, Bay Area Planning Consultant
Bay Area Planning Directors Association (BAPDA) Bylaws
As Amended: June 24, 1977, May 15, 1981, April 5, 2013, and April 13, 2018
The general purposes of the Bay Area Planning Directors Association (BAPDA) shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- To provide professional education, advice, support and leadership on planning policy and practice at the state, regional and local level;
- To foster the exchange of ideas, information and best practices among Bay Area planners;
- To take a position on proposed legislation or policy direction affecting the practice of planning in the Bay Area;
- To promote the need for and value of good planning and effective planning policy and programs in the Bay Area; and
- To encourage communication and collaboration among planning professionals in the various jurisdictions, agencies, special districts and private firms in the Bay Area.
- The Bylaws of the Bay Area Planning Directors Association (BAPDA) outline the General Membership and the nature of the partnership with MTC and ABAG. They include rules governing the Steering Committee and Officers, as well as Meetings and Amendments to these bylaws.