The Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) hosted this training webinar to introduce planners to its housing data packets and provide tips on accessing and using census data to better understand housing needs and meet state requirements. It included:
- HCD Presentation on Using Data to Tell the Story of a Community’s Housing Needs
- Overview of ABAG’s Housing Needs Data Packets for Local Jurisdictions
- A Tutorial on Using the Census Bureau Website to Download Data
This slide deck includes timelines, visuals and other aides to accompany the Housing Element webinar on “Using Data Effectively in Housing Element Updates: ABAG’s Housing Needs Data Packets and Accessing the U.S. Census."
These jurisdiction-level data packets for all 109 Bay Area jurisdictions contain tables, figures and accompanying text that can be placed directly into the Housing Needs Section of the Housing Element or used as an attachment to help ensure compliance with state requirements.
Download PDF versions of the Housing Needs Data Packets, as well the underlying data tables in Excel, for all 109 jurisdictions.
The Census Links reviewed in the webinar included:
- Data from census.data.gov
- Formatted tables on tract data
- City profiles with interactive charts
- Data profiles
- An inventory of available tables
- Social inventory
- Mapping data
- Census business builder
- Additional resources
These materials are meant to be used in conjunction with the video recording of the webinar and the slide deck.