The Bay Area Aging Malls and Office Parks Transformation White Paper was created to develop an informed Plan Bay Area 2050 implementation strategy and a pilot program that would support local governments, provide useful lessons for the next long-range regional plan and eventually achieve the envisioned equity outcome for the Bay Area.
Staff from ABAG and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission reviewed recent research, interviewed staff in jurisdictions with major mall and/or office park redevelopment projects, and conducted cases studies to answer these questions:
- What are the challenges and barriers to aging malls and office parks redevelopment projects in the Bay Area and other metropolitan areas?
- What roles should the public/local governments play?
- What are the opportunities to provide more affordable housing and advance equity?
- Read the Bay Area Aging Malls and Office Parks Transformation White Paper
- Learn more about the Aging Malls & Office Parks Transformation Work Group