The Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) presented the Ninth Annual Regional Growing Smarter Together Awards during its Spring 2015 General Assembly on Thursday, April 23, 2015 in Oakland. The awards honor counties, cities and towns and their innovative efforts in revitalization, planning, innovation and technology to create sustainable communities and to promote conservation and green community efforts. Julie Pierce, ABAG President and Clayton Councilmember proudly recognized the award honorees for their achievements to address a sustainable Bay Area through innovative leadership and collaboration which strengthened and provided support of existing communities by creating better connections through jobs, housing and transportation, Bay Area environmental protection, support of social equity and creating a stronger economy.
Award recipients were recognized and honored in the following categories:
- On the Ground Award: City of Fremont, Warm Springs Community Plan
- Public Private Partnership Award: City of Union City & MidPEN Housing Corporation, Union City Station Mixed Center Mixed-Use Housing
- Preserving and Protecting the Environment Award: Stop Waste: Energy Council Bay Area Multifamily Enhancements Program
- Start It Up Award: City of Concord Downtown Concord Specific Plan
- Public Private Partnership Award: City of San Leandro & BRIDGE Housing Corporation Marea Alta Affordable Rental Development
- Sharing the Benefits Award: City of Alameda Jack Capon Villa
To see the video of each award, visit http://www.abag.ca.gov/smarter/2015/smarter15.html
More than 125 attendees including Bay Area elected officials and civic leaders attended the Spring General Assembly to discuss Green Streets and Infrastructure Strategies: Sharing Best Practices Around Creating Complete Communities, Drought Protection, and Water Management.