Created by the Association of Bay Area Governments, this document can be used as the template for developing a Request for Proposals (RFP) for hiring a consultant to undertake a Housing Element Update, including potential rezoning and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) work. It is a helpful source of task-specific language to include in a solicitation to consultants.
Download the Housing Element Update: Request for Proposals template.
The template includes:
- Background: Sets the context for your update and general expectations regarding the services needed
- Scope of Services: Identifies the specific work tasks you need the consultant to perform, including:
- Project Management and Coordination
- Community Outreach and Engagement
- Housing and Special Housing Needs
- Housing Constraints
- Existing Housing Element
- Sites Inventory
- Goals, Policies, Programs and Quantified Objectives
- Rezoning [Optional Task]
- Draft Housing Element and Public Hearings
- Final Draft Hearings, Final Adoption and Certification
- CEQA Documentation
All jurisdictions in the Bay Area must update their Housing Element for the 2023-2031 planning period. The deadline for completing the update and submitting the adopted element to HCD is January, 2023.