This resource provides guidance to communities on how they can affirmatively further fair housing in the application of the Fair Housing Act.
It seeks to help U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) beneficiaries and program participants, as well as members of the public, to understand the Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) rule, the obligation to complete an Assessment of Fair Housing (AFH), and the linkage between an AFH and other required planning processes.
The report includes the following sections:
- Introduction: New Rule, Same Law: Introduction to Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) and the AFFH Regulation
- Advancing Fair Housing: Moving from Fair Housing Planning to Strategies and Actions to Affirmatively Further Fair Housing
- AFH Process and Timeline
- Using the Assessment Tools to Complete an AFH
- Content of the AFH
- Beyond the AFH: Moving from Assessment to Implementation
- Conclusion: AFFH, Fair Housing Planning, and Community Planning and Development
Get a detailed explanation in Chapter 4 on how to use the Assessment Tools and the AFFH Data and Mapping Tool issued in connection with HUD’s 2015 AFFH Rule.