Shared Agency Risk Pool: ABAG's Workers' Compensation Pool
Need Relief from High Rates? Workers' Compensation Pooling Offers an Alternative: SHARP (Shared Agency Risk Pool)
Why do I need a Workers' Compensation Pool?
Workers' Compensation rates in California have skyrocketed and are expected to continue rising. Policies are being canceled and the market is restricting, leaving public agencies few choices. Thus more small and medium-sized agencies are turning to pooling as way to control their costs.
Why is SHARP the answer?
Since 1986, ABAG has managed SHARP (Shared Agency Risk Pool), which as a Workers' Compensation risk sharing pool is designed to provide small to medium-sized municipalities and agencies the benefits available to larger self-insured entities.
How does the Pool work?
Members contribute to the Pool to pay claims up to $250,000. SHARP participates in an excess pool to pay claims above $250,000, with re-insurance also purchased for all members. Claims are administered by Gregory Bragg & Associates on behalf of the members.
When should I apply?
Now. The SHARP Pool is actively recruiting new members and the sooner we can gather data about your organization the sooner we can provide a quote for membership. Thanks!
SHARP Pool Benefits
Pooling gives SHARP members the benefits of primary coverage and the flexibility of self-insurance without the added expense of a traditional insurance company.
- No insurer "markup" for sales and administrative expense
- Access to better rates from excess and re-insurance markets
- Underwriting based on similar lower-risk entities
- Ability to select an examiner and manage the claims process
- Representation on SHARP Board to choose funding options
- Spread of risk among similar entities leads to more stable costs
- Removes reliance on primary insurance market and its pricing fluctuations
The End Result
- Workers' Compensation program that provides you with more flexibility and control of the claims process, higher quality claims service, more stable pricing, and the satisfaction of knowing you are working together other similar agencies to manage the claims.
How does my agency qualify for membership?
If you represent a small to medium-sized public agency with a good loss history and are looking for an alternative to the traditional insurance market, then fill out a brief application form and provide at least five years of loss and payroll information. To receive an application contact Jill Stallman, Acting Director, Risk Management, at (415) 820-7946 or email@example.com