Slide 9 of 48
- Prescriptive Standards vs. Engineered Retrofits
- Two ways to design seismic retrofits
- Have an engineer or architect create the design
- Follow "prescriptive standards" provisions of the building code
- Complicated sites require an engineer's retrofit design
- Prescriptive standards for simpler retrofits
- General guidelines developed by engineers and public agencies that can be followed to complete seismic retrofits
- For homeowners and do-it-yourselfers
- Can be used by general contractors
- Check with the local building department to find if prescriptive standards have been adopted
- The building department must be satisfied that the specific home in question meets the requirements of the standard
- When in doubt, consult the appropriate design professional and/or building official
- Local building department determines whether prescriptive standards can be used
- If a home satisfies certain clearly defined requirements, a contractor could use the prescriptive standards adopted by the relevant local agency instead of a plan specially prepared by an engineer or architect.
- HOWEVER, YOUR LOCAL BUILDING DEPARTMENT MAKES THAT DETERMINATION, and . . . Not you.