- There are two types of chimneys:
- Masonry- reinforced or unreinforced
- Stud framed with metal flue
- Stud framed chimneys can be made with wood or metal studs.
- Older Chimneys
- Many older residences have chimneys constructed with unreinforced masonry such as brick or stone.
- These chimneys are not reinforced with steel and their mortar tends to deteriorate over time.
- They usually have little strength to resist earthquakes.
- What Happens in an Earthquake?
- Even moderate earthquakes can cause extensive chimney damage.
- Portion of chimney above roofline is usually first part to fail.
- The figure shows a chimney that has broken apart all the way to the firebox.