Slide 12 of 19
- Normally visible to the naked eye
- Conduct a visual inspection of the foundation walls before beginning work and look for:
- Excessive cracking or weathering
- Well pointed and tooled mortar in masonry. The figure shows deteriorated mortar joints.
- Existing concrete should be smooth and aggregate should not be exposed
- Poorly finished concrete suffers later from excessive weathering
- If parging (concrete) or repointing (masonry) cannot repair the wall, a full foundation retrofit is required. You will learn more about this later in this section.