Slide 44 of 45
- Interior post to girder connections
- Figure shows a wine barrel used as a form for concrete.
- A lot of people think they need to make a big strong connection from post to girder.
- This is not really true.
- If plywood is placed around the building and it is properly connected, elaborate post connections will not provide any benefit.
- The posts need only a simple toenail connection at the top and bottom to keep them from shifting during an earthquake.
- Inspect the post connections and provide toenails, small straps, or clips only when there is no existing connection.
- When you are unsure about the condition, have an engineer evaluate it.