Slide 28 of 45
- Special retrofit anchors may be required
- Existing anchor bolts in the sill plate may be too few in numbers, too small, or may be rusted through under the sill plate.
- Some older buildings did not bolt their sill plates to the concrete stem wall.
- In these cases, special retrofit anchors must be used to strengthen the sill plate connection.
- New sill plate anchors are installed in two ways:
- Drilled-in anchors through the sill plate or
- Side plates that connect the sill plate to the foundation concrete or masonry. Side plates are used when there is not enough room to stand a drill motor on top of the sill plate.