Slide 25 of 45
- Double sole plates
- In some multiple story buildings, double sole plates may be encountered.
- The second sole plate may have been installed to act as a form for poured-in-place lightweight concrete or gypsum sub-floor material.
- This is a problem area and makes it difficult to get a good connection because now there are two plates to penetrate.
- In new construction, this is accomplished by nailing the first sole plate and second sole plate with a sufficient number of nails specified by a design professional.
- In existing construction, it may be necessary to use extra long nails or screws through both plates so that the fastener has enough penetration into the framing member below.
- This must be designed.