Slide 23 of 45
- Splices in double top plates
- All modern buildings have two top plates
- Splices in double top plates should be properly lapped and the laps should be well nailed.
- If a double top plate is notched or cut (say for a plumbing vent), metal straps should be added across the notch to restore its tension capacity.
- The figure shows how to splice a single top plate
- When splices of double top plate are not properly built or if there is only one discontinuous top plate, a metal strap should be nailed across the splice to provide the necessary continuity.