Slide 17 of 45
Connections resisting shear forces
- Most wood framed building have many connections where shear forces are present
- All of these connections are links in the shear load path.
- Just as with the uplift forces, these shear forces must be adequately resisted in order to minimize building damage
- No matter how heavy the gravity load, friction alone is not an effective way to create a load path.
- Discussion of figure
- Note shear forces pulling the two pieces apart
- Upper left shows toe nails at an angle
- Middle shows framing anchor
- Right bottom shows multiple straight nails. This is better than the toe nails.
- Remember that the heavier the gravity load, the greater the inertia and resulting shear force.