Slide 14 of 45
- Countersinking Nut & Washer
- Post bolts should never be countersunk into the post unless the installed post is at least one size larger than that specified.
- For instance, if the plan calls for a 4x4 post and it becomes necessary to countersink the bolt head, you can either:
- Use a 4x6 post.
- Get the detail changed
- Use of a 4x6 post allows for an additional 2 inches of post thickness in which to countersink the bolt head.
- The figure shows a countersunk nut and washer
- Hold-down strap is on outside of wall, bolted to floor
- Countersunk nut and washer to allow for drywall
- Contractor needs to know that if he encounters this, get the detail changed