Slide 12 of 45
- Oversized Bolt Hole
- The post bolt holes must not be oversized.
- If the hole is bigger than the bolt, the bolt will move before it engages the wood and will be much more likely to split the post.
- The building code allows the hole in the end stud to be a maximum 1/16-inch oversized.
- The proper drill bit size must be used so that the hole is no larger than 1/16 inch bigger than the bolt diameter
- Most bolt holes are oversized by 1/8 or ¼ this is not to code
- Check and make sure that the drill bits you are using are the correct size.