Slide 11 of 45
COMMON INSTALLATION ERRORS FOR BOLTED HOLD-DOWNS
- Improper End Distance
- The bolts attaching the hold-down to the post should be located per the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
- In general, the first bolt should be at least seven bolt diameters from the bottom of the post.
- This minimizes the chances of the bolt ripping right through the end of the post during an earthquake.
- The figure shows an improperly installed hold-down.
- The first bolt (lowest) is less than 7 bolt diameters from the end of the post.
- The contractor miscalculated and had to cut the lower end of the hold-down
- The important thing to know is: Other hardware would have worked
- If you make a mistake, ask for help because there is probably a different hold-down device that would work!