Slide 9 of 45
- When nailing on straps used as hold-downs, the minimum required edge distance must be maintained.
- The minimum required edge distance depends on the size of nail used.
- Nails should be installed no closer to the edge of the wood member than Ĺ the minimum required embedment depth of the nail (see Table 23-G of the Uniform Building Code).
- The figure shows that when you use straps as hold-downs you want to use an extra wide stud.
- If the nailís minimum embedment depth is 1-3/4 inches, the nail should be installed no closer than 7/8 inch from the edge of the wood member
- If plans call for straps, may require a wider post