Slide 5 of 45
- Metal Straps
- Similar to bolted hold-downs, metal straps can be used as hold-downs to connect the end studs or added posts below the floor.
- The strap must be long enough to pass through the floor framing and be attached to the end studs (or added posts)
- The strap must also be long enough so that the required number of nails or bolts are provided between the strap and the end stud both above and below the floor.
- The number of nails or bolts is specified by the manufacturer and it is crucial to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- What is wrong with the metal strap shown in the figure?
- The strap is bent and it should be straight – this is improperly installed