Slide 66 of 67
- Remove all improperly installed nails
- All nails that miss, graze or connect to framing members too close to their edges should be removed prior to inspection
- These nails have no allowable value and can mislead the Contractor or Inspector into thinking the job was done right.
- Since the strength of shear walls sheathed with wood structural panels comes mainly from the fasteners, proper fastener location is of primary importance.
- Discussion of figure
- What happened here?
- As discussed earlier, the contractor should have marked the sheathing to avoid this mistake
- All the nails should be removed
- Remember that this mistake is harder to catch when doing retrofit work where you canít see the backside of the wall!