Slide 56 of 67
- We have discussed shear wall framing and sheathing and now we will discuss shear wall fasteners
How to Install the Fasteners
- Use nails versus screws
- Nails are preferred fasteners because:
- They cost less to install than screws
- They are easier to install in volume (because you can use a nail gun)
- Engineers prefer nails because they are generally more ductile than screws.
- Better ductility means better absorption of seismic energy.
- When screw withdrawal properties are desirable, such as for floor sheathing, ring-shank or screw-shank nails can be used instead.