Slide 52 of 67
Use the Proper Panel Grade
- In addition to using the correct thickness and number of plies, it is important to sue the proper panel grade
- The recommended panel grade for shear wall construction is Structural 1.
- Structural 1 is the premium grade of “CDX” and OSB panels.
- The figure shows the Panel Grade Stamp for this plywood
- “Rated Sheathing” means that it is for construction
- The allowable panel rigidity of Structural 1 is almost twice other structurally rated sheathing.
- Because of its properties, Structural 1 shear walls are ten percent stronger than other similar fastened structural use sheathing.
- Shear walls use few panels to resist earthquake forces and thus the demand on individual panel strength and stiffness is greater than floors or roofs.
- Remember: For retrofit work, remember to install each panel with the grade stamp visible for the building inspector.