Slide 48 of 67
- We have discussed framing of the shear wall, including
- Lumber species,
- lumber sizes for studs and blocking and
- how lumber grade and size affects the strength of the building
- Now we will discuss the sheathing of the shear wall
How to Install the Sheathing
- Use the specified wood structural panel
- All types of wood structural panel sheathing have the same allowable shear strengths in the UBC.
- Wood structural panels include:
- veneer plywood
- composite panels
- oriented strand board
- The most common structural panels are plywood and oriented strand board.
- When the term “wood structural panel” is specified, the contractor may use oriented strand board or plywood panels of the required thickness and grade.