Slide 42 of 67
Avoid Mechanical Penetrations
- Beware of mechanical penetrations into the shear wall
- Be aware of poor coordination between structural and mechanical installations.
- Structural designs are completed and approved long before mechanical subcontractors begin to design their systems.
- Residential mechanical designs often call for penetrations in shear walls.
- These penetrations can seriously weaken shear walls and stricter notching and cutting limits should be followed than given in the building code for non-shear walls.
- The figure shows a large hole cut through a shear wall