Slide 36 of 67
PROPERLY LOCATE THE HOLD-DOWN STUD
- How is the length of the shear wall measured?
- The length of a shear wall is measured horizontally along the sheathing between wall ends (or the framing members) with hold-down devices.
- It is NOT measured by the length of the plywood sheathing
- It IS measured by the location of the hold-down devices
- Where should the hold-down devices be located?
- Studs for hold-down devices should be located as far apart as practical.
- Framing members for hold-down devices should not be notched for larger obstructions like plumbing or countersunk for washers or bolt heads.