Slide 34 of 67
- When shear walls are designed with openings
- Blocks are installed between the studs in line with the top and bottom of the openings.
- Photo shows reinforced window openings in the shear wall. Extra blocks were added in order to attach the metal straps
- Metal straps are nailed to the blocks to reinforce the opening.
- These metal straps usually require 2½ minimum width blocking for the 2 rows of 16d common or sinker nails.
- When the metal straps are fastened with 16d common nails, the blocking must also be at least 2 inches thick.
- When 1½-inch flat blocking is used for 16d common nails, opening reinforcement straps will lose 23 percent of their strength.