Slide 31 of 67
Install Proper Size Blocking
- For shear walls in seismic zones 3 or 4, all edges of wood structural panels must be fastened to framing members or blocking.
- Seismic Zone 3 & 4:
- All of California
- Portions of Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
- Parts of Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee
- What if adjoining panel edges are unsupported between framing members?
- You must provide blocking.
- Occurs when:
- wall heights exceed available panel lengths,
- panels are installed horizontally,
- panels around wall openings or
- panels meet existing cripple walls.
- Remember: When sheathing panel edges are not fastened, the shear wall is only one-third as strong when all edges are fastened.