Buildings Resist Horizontal Earthquake Forces
Roof & floor structures diaphragms
Span horizontal elements shear walls
HORIZONTAL FORCE-RESISTING SYSTEM
- We’ve talked about how forces get to the building, into the building, and through the building.
- What part of a building resists the horizontal earthquake forces?
- Both horizontal and vertical parts of the building resist horizontal earthquake forces.
- Horizontal parts: roof and the floor structures. These parts are called diaphragms.
- Vertical parts that span between the horizontal elements. These walls are called shear walls.
- You will learn more about these in the section on Shear Walls.