Slide 10 of 10
WHEN TO HIRE PROFESSIONAL HELP
- We know that prescriptive methods work….but when do you need to hire a professional?
- Seismic retrofit technology is an evolving process - the participant needs to understand and follow the most current seismic retrofit standards.
- This course uses the best available information on the subject at the time the course was developed.
- This information presented here cannot substitute for professional advice.
- The services of an architect, civil, structural or geotechnical engineer is frequently required. You will learn more about this throughout the course.
- You must hire an engineer or architect to design the seismic retrofit when….
- The building is a commercial and/or a larger residential building.
- The building is constructed on a steeply sloping lot. See figure.
- Caution: Who does what varies from state to state
- Check with your state as to whether you need an architect versus an engineer.