Slide 8 of 10
RETROFIT PRESCRIPTIVE STANDARDS
- New House
- When you build a new house, you have two ways to design the framing.
1. The first method is to have an engineer or architect create the design.
2. The second is to follow the conventional construction provisions of the Uniform Building Code (UBC).
- Seismic Retrofit
- Similarly, there are two ways in which a seismic retrofit can be designed for light wood frame houses.
1. The owner or contractor could hire an architect or an engineer to design the retrofit. There are many houses that have complications that will require an engineer or architect to design the retrofit.
2. Another way to retrofit a house is to use a prescriptive standard.