Regional Housing Need
Housing Element Process
Housing Element Strategies
Publications & Data
QUICK LINKSState of the Region
People, Places, and Prosperity
Displacement White Paper
2007–2014 RHNA Progress Report
Fair Housing and Equity Assessment
By law, every city and county in California must adopt a Housing Element as part of its General Plan. The purpose of the Housing Element is to ensure that local governments adequately plan to meet the housing needs of all people within the community-regardless of their income. The underlying premise of Housing Element law is that, for the private market to adequately address housing needs and demand, local governments must adopt land use plans and regulatory systems which provide opportunities for, and do not unduly constrain, housing development.
For the Bay Area the "projection period" or the time period for which the Regional Housing Need is calculated is January 1, 2014 – October 31, 2022. The "planning period" for the Bay Area, or the time frame between the due date for one housing element and the due date for the next housing element, is January 31, 2015 – January 31, 2023. For more information on the projection or planning periods please refer to this link.
In the Bay Area, local governments must complete revisions to their Housing Elements by January 31st 2015. Please browse the following pages to access resources ABAG has put together to aid jurisdictions with their housing element update process.
- 2014–2022 Housing Element Toolkit: The Housing Leadership Council of San Mateo (HLC), ABAG, East Bay Housing Organizations (EBHO), HIP Housing, the Law Foundation of Silicon Valley, and the Northern California Land Trust (NCLT) created a brief guide with housing policies, already in local use, designed to expand housing choices in the Bay Area.
- HCD Building Blocks Housing Element Toolkit: This comprehensive toolkit put together by the California Department of Housing and Community Development offers step by step instructions on how to put together an effective housing element.
- HCD Streamlined Review Process
- Download the latest ABAG Demographic Data for Housing Elements Here
- Download the latest ABAG data on Housing Overpayment Here
- ABAG Site Inventory Template: A template for how Bay Area jurisdictions might prepare their housing site inventories for their latest housing element.
- Housing Element Law Overview: This two-page document provides a brief overview of the purposes of the Housing Element, and a description of the specific components included in the element.
- Housing Element Process
- HCD SB 375 Technical Assistance Memo: This is a memorandum prepared by HCD for Planning Directors concerning changes to state housing policy following the passage of SB 375.
Links to the various government codes for Housing Elements:
- Adoption, HCD Review and Approval Processes (Government Code §§ 65580- 65589.8)
- Statute of Limitations (Government Code § 65009)
- Writ Procedures (Government Code §§ 65750-63)
- California Anti-NIMBY Statute (Government Code § 65589.5)